WhatsApp, the popular instant messaging application from Meta, continues to impress its user community with innovative updates. One of its latest modifications focuses on improving the search and organization of shared documents within chats. In this article, we will guide you through the steps to utilize this handy feature and effectively sort your WhatsApp messages and files.
WhatsApp is constantly updating its platform to enhance user interaction. One of the crucial functions of the app is the ability to send documents in various formats, such as PDFs, Word files, PowerPoints, and Excel sheets, both in individual messages and group chats. However, it can sometimes be challenging to remember whom or when you sent a specific document or which chat it is stored in. Therefore, organizing these files is essential for easy access and reference.
To locate and view all the documents you’ve sent or received on WhatsApp, sorted date and contact, follow these simple steps within the application:
- Launch WhatsApp and tap on the magnifying glass icon located in the top-right corner of the screen.
- A menu of options will appear. Tap on “Documents,” and you will see a list of files categorized color: PDFs appear in red, Word files in blue, PowerPoints in orange, Excel sheets in green, and screenshots in gray.
- Shared documents will automatically be sorted date, with the most recent ones appearing first. To locate older files, simply scroll down on your device’s screen.
It’s important to note that WhatsApp’s search function is not limited to sorting documents date and contact. You can also use it to find unread chats, photos, videos, links, GIFs, audio files, and even polls. If you can’t find a specific file in the list, here’s what you can do:
If the document you’re searching for isn’t listed in WhatsApp’s sorted files, there’s a possibility that you may have accidentally deleted it. In such cases, you’ll need to check the “Recycle Bin” or “Trash” folder on your phone following these steps:
- Open the “Settings” or “Configuration” menu on your Android device.
- Select the “Storage” option, which is the folder where your documents and media files are automatically stored.
- Tap on “Manage storage” and choose the option displaying the amount of internal memory in use.
- Within the “Internal Storage” menu, click on the “Trash” button, typically represented a trash bin icon. Here, you’ll find the documents you’ve deleted from your device.
Please note that the “Trash” function retains deleted files for a maximum of 30 days. If you deleted the document over a month ago, it may have been permanently erased.
For iOS devices, each app has its own “Trash” folder. If you’re searching for an image, it might be in the “Photos” app. Recovery of deleted files on iOS requires more careful navigation, but the files are usually stored for a month.
Lastly, if you still can’t find the document in the sorted files list on WhatsApp, it’s possible that you need to update the app on your device. In this case, follow these steps:
For Android phones, search for “WhatsApp Messenger” on the Google Play Store. Since you already have the app installed, simply tap on the three horizontal dots in the top-right corner of the screen, and then click on “Auto-update.”
For iPhone users, search for “WhatsApp Messenger” in the Apple App Store and tap on “Update.”
With these tips and tricks, you can make the most of WhatsApp’s document search and sorting feature, ensuring you never lose track of your important files again.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Can I search for documents in formats other than PDF, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and PNG on WhatsApp?
Yes, apart from the mentioned formats, WhatsApp’s search function allows you to find other file types, including photos, videos, links, GIFs, audio files, and polls.
2. What should I do if I can’t locate a document using the search function in WhatsApp?
If the file you’re searching for doesn’t appear in the sorted files list within WhatsApp, there’s a possibility that you may have accidentally deleted it. Check the “Recycle Bin” or “Trash” folder on your device to potentially recover the deleted document.
3. How long does WhatsApp’s “Trash” function retain deleted files?
The “Trash” function in WhatsApp keeps deleted files for a maximum of 30 days. After this period, the files are typically permanently erased.
4. Does updating WhatsApp on my device help in locating missing documents?
Yes, if you’re not seeing the document you’re looking for in the sorted files list on WhatsApp, it’s advisable to update the app on your device to ensure you have the latest version installed.